A Call Activity is when one process calls on another process as a part of the model.
How to add a Call Activity to a process model
There are two ways to add a Call Activity to a process; one is to drag and drop from the Asset Browser and one is by transforming a task and connecting it to a process.
NOTE: Make sure the desired process has the reusable setting enabled, read more in Reusable processes.
You can choose to open the process and model its content by clicking on the plus icon on the Call Activity.
Drag and drop
1. Open the asset browser and all processes available for reusing are shown under the section Available in this space.
2. Select the desired process then drag and drop the process on either an empty area or on a already modeled task.
Transform task to Call Activity
1. Open the settings for the desired task
2. Change the task type to Call Activity
3. Create a brand new process or search and select an already existing, reusable process.
NOTE: If you choose to create a brand new process it will be created as a draft immediately.
Sub instance settings
Configure how the sub instances are named as well as set if the sub instance should be isolated from the main instance or not by using the sub instance settings. Read more in the article Sub instance settings.
Select start event
You can select which start event to trigger by double clicking any incoming sequence flows. Here you can select which specific start event in the call activity will be triggered by each sequence flow. It is also possible to have manual start events in the call activity so that the process application can be triggered both by a call activity and manually via the Barium Live standard interface for starting instances.
If you want to be able to access data from the master process in the Call Activity you need to:
1. add a Data Object in your master process as an input to the Call Activity
2. add a Data Object in your Call Activity, with the same name as the one in the master process, as an output from the start event
See images below.
How to create a new form in your Call Activity
If you want to create a new form in your Call Activity and send the data object to the master process:
1. model the data object as output from the end event in the Call Activity
2. create a new data object in the master process with the same name as the object in the Call Activity and model it as an output from the Call Activity.
NOTE: View Modes will work as usual both in the master process and in the Call Activity.
A data object as input to a Call Activity
A data object as an output from the start event in a Call Activity process
Deploy, assign roles and reuse roles
When you deploy your process you will have to connect users and groups to both the master process roles and the Call Activity roles. And if you, in your Call Activity, want to involve the same users and groups in a role as in your master process you can use something called reusable roles. This makes sure that it is the same role in both processes and connects them together when the role is assigned in the deploy step. Read more about how to enable the reusable roles in the article Reusable roles.
When you deploy your master process with a connecting Call Activity you will need to assign the roles for both processes as well as the reusable roles used in both processes.
Updating a call activity
When you need to update your call activity, You also need to update the main process by deploying a new version of the main process.